I think my 18 month child has a speech delay problem, how can I tell?
Speech and language is important in your child’s development here are some important milestones they should reach:
- At age one children are beginning to say single words eg ball
- At age two children use two words together eg more ball
- 3 to 4 year old children should be understood most of the time by people outside their home eg grandparents can easily understand them
- 4 to 5 year old children begin to understand rhyming words eg Cat and Bat
You are one of the most important role models in your child’s life. You can help them strengthen their speech and communication by;
- Encourage back and forth conversations – even if they are babbling, you babble back
- Tell them stories and read books
- Model the correct way to say words
- Have their hearing tested
If you are concerned you can see a Speech Pathologist as they're trained to assess, diagnosis and support you and your child.
Windermere offers speech pathology services - if you'd like to find out more about how we may be able to help your child contact Windermere on 1300 946 337.